Pinzón Island, sometimes called Duncan Island (after Adam Duncan, 1st Viscount Duncan), is an island in the Galápagos Islands, Ecuador. Pinzón is home to giant Galápagos tortoises of the endemic subspecies Chelonoidis duncanensis, Galápagos sea lions and other endemic species. It has no visitor facilities and a permit is required to visit. It has an area of 18 km2 and a maximum altitude of 458 meters.
Pinzón marks the geographical center of the Galápagos Islands, but neither of the two main Galápagos tree species are present. In the humid zone a unique species of daisy tree is found. An infestation of non-native rats began in the mid 18th century with the arrival of European sailors. The rats devastated the tortoise population by eating their eggs and young hatchlings that were too small to defend themselves. In 2012, conservationists dropped bait on the island designed to attract and kill the rats. The experiment worked and the island is now rat-free. In December 2014, the first new generation of tortoise hatchlings were spotted on Pinzón
Endemic Fauna: Penguins, Galapagos Sharks, White-tip Reef Sharks, Rays, Reef Fish
Difficulty: Moderate: open-water snorkeling from boat (no disembarkation on Pinzon island), snorkeling from zodiac/panga, wet landing at beach.
To bring: closed shoes, water, hat, sunscreen, snorkel gear, bathing suit/ change of clothes and light jacket for the return trip.
Start time: 08:45 AM am Hotel pick up Duration: Approx 5 hrs / Depart from Itabaca Channel
Group Size: 10 maximun Vessel Type: 20 ft motorboat Activity level: moderate Total Travel Time: Land 2 hours; Water 1.5 hour
- 06:30 Meeting point the REEF STORE (In front of the Tourist pier) – Our guide will be waiting for you there. Transfer from Puerto Ayora to Itabaca Chanel
- 09:30 Departure from Itabaca to Pinzon.
- 10:30 Arrival: We will have a great swimming & snorkeling with sharks, penguins, sea turtles, sea lions, after that we have lunch onboard, the we navigate to the beach , there disembark and great exploring : marine iguanas, coastal birds, mangroves, etc.
- 14h30 Return to Itabaca chanel, travel to Puerto Ayora Town.
- 17h30 Arrival to Puerto Ayora
Prices includes: English speaking guide, Lunch on board, Excursions, Coffe, drinking water, snorkel gear.
Prices do not include: Beverages, Snorkel equipment, Tips/gratuities, Services not Indicated.
WATH TO BRING & TO USE:
Small backpack (waterproof), Comfortable walking shoes, Sneakers or rubber soles, Shorts Trousers, T-shirts, Long and Short sleeved shirts
Windbreaker, Bathing suit, Wet suit (for snorkeling between June – November), Hat or cap, Toilette kit, Sun block, Sunglasses, Binoculars, Camera & camcorder